How to Overcome Dental Fear — Tips from Warrnambool Dental
Let’s face it, visiting the dentist isn’t something that many people look forward to.
Some complain about their preventive and restorative dental care appointments, and some even avoid them altogether.
Unfortunately, this fear and avoidance can affect your oral health.
Take a look at several dental fear reasons and ways to deal with it, so you and your oral health don’t suffer.
Anyone can suffer from dentist phobia. Here are some of the most common causes of dental anxiety:
- A previous painful or humiliating dental experience
- The fear of criticism about oral care habits
- An uncaring dentist, particularly one who does not manage patient pain
- A loved one’s reaction to a negative dental experience or horror stories told by others
- A history of being bullied or suffering emotional or physical abuse
Tips for Overcoming Dental Fear
Whether you’re ready to conquer your fear or getting ready to see the dentist, the following tips can help you stay calm during your dental appointment:
- Visit your dentist at a less busy time of day, such as morning. There will be fewer people and lesser equipment making noises that could trigger your fear.
- Wear noise-cancelling headphones or earbuds. Listen to music to help you relax.
- Ask a friend or loved one to accompany you during your dental appointment.
- Practise deep breathing and other meditation techniques to relax your nerves.
Know that it’s alright if you need to take a break at any point during your dental visit. It is also helpful to set a “signal” with your dentist, so they know when to stop.
You can either continue with your visit when you’re ready or return on another day when you feel better.
Overcome Dental Fear with your Trusted Warrnambool Dentist
When it comes to dental fear and anxiety, your friendly Warrnambool dentist can help you deal with your concerns by giving the best solution you ever need.
Your dental care partners at Warrnambool Dental aim to offer you a comfortable and pain-free dental experience whenever you visit us.
Warrnambool Dental is a full-care dental office in Southwest Victoria. We offer the highest calibre dental treatment in Australia.
We also provide our patients professional and affordable service in a comfortable, family-friendly environment.
We welcome patients of any age and condition and give outstanding service based on their specific dental needs, expectations, and desires.
We offer extended hours on weekdays (until 7:30) and Saturdays from 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM.
We are located at 454A Raglan Parade, Warrnambool.