How to Overcome Dental Fear — Tips from Warrnambool Dental
Let’s face it: visiting the dentist, especially for those with dental fear, isn’t something many people look forward to.
Unfortunately, this fear and avoidance can affect your oral health.
Look at several reasons for dental fear and ways to deal with it so you and your oral health don’t suffer.
Anyone can suffer from dentist phobia. Here are some of the most common causes of dental fear:
- A previous painful or humiliating dental experience
- The fear of criticism about oral care habits
- An uncaring dentist, particularly one who does not manage patient pain
- A loved one’s reaction to a negative dental experience or horror stories told by others
- A history of being bullied or suffering emotional or physical abuse
Tips for Overcoming Dental Fear
Whether you’re ready to conquer your dental fear or getting prepared to see the dentist, the following tips will help you stay calm during your dental appointment:
- Being rushed to make it to your appointment on time can stress you out. Save yourself from unnecessary stress by planning to arrive extra early. Give yourself enough time to take it easy. Come early and spend a few additional minutes in the waiting area, talking to the front desk staff, asking questions, or chilling.
- Visit your dentist at a less busy time, such as in the morning. There will be fewer people and less equipment making noises that could trigger your fear.
- Wear noise-cancelling headphones or earbuds. Listen to music to help you relax.
- Invite a friend or family member to go with you to your dentist appointment.
- Practise deep breathing and other meditation techniques to relax your nerves.
- It’s common for people to feel nervous about going to the dentist, and dentists are used to helping people like you. Don’t keep your worries to yourself—tell your dentist and the dental team you’re feeling nervous. Your dentist wants to provide the care and attention you need to help you have a relaxed and enjoyable experience.
- During your appointment, don’t hesitate to share any concerns, questions, or discomfort you may have. Your dental team is there to help. Wondering about a specific tool or treatment? Just ask! Starting to feel nervous and need a break before continuing treatment? Tell your dentist. A good dental team will happily address your concerns, explain what a sensation might feel, and ensure you’re comfortable the whole time.
Know that it’s alright if you need to take a break at any point during your dental visit. Setting a “signal” with your dentist is also helpful so they know when to stop.
You can either continue your visit when you’re ready or return another day when you feel better.
Overcome Dental Fear with your Trusted Warrnambool Dentist
When it comes to dental phobias and anxiety, your friendly Warrnambool dentist can help you deal with your concerns by giving you the best solution you have ever needed.
Your dental care partners at Warrnambool Dental aim to offer you a comfortable and pain-free dental experience whenever you visit us.
Warrnambool Dental is a full-care dental office in Southwest Victoria. We offer the highest calibre dental treatment in Australia.
We also provide our patients with professional and affordable service in a comfortable, family-friendly environment.
We welcome patients of any age and condition and give outstanding service based on their specific dental needs, expectations, and desires.
We are located at 454A Raglan Parade, Warrnambool.